callToll Free 18001024141

Electric 3W August 2023 Sales Insights

September 09, 2023 | 1 min read | Industry News

In the ever-evolving landscape of the electric vehicle industry, it's often the two-wheelers that steal the limelight. However, the real surge in growth can be observed in their three-wheeled counterparts. As we delve into the sales data, the average monthly sales of 44,604 units from January to August 2023 (compared to 25,115 units during the same period in 2022) evoke optimism.

Cumulatively, the retail figures of 356,837 units mark an impressive 77.59% increase compared to the 200,924 units recorded a year ago. This sub-segment, encompassing passenger-transporting e-rickshaws and cargo-carrying three-wheelers, continues to flourish, underpinned by robust double-digit growth.

The sustained demand for passenger transportation and the rising requirements of last-mile operators for e-commerce deliveries, food distribution, and various other applications continue to propel this segment forward.

Out of the nearly 460 players competing in this arena, we have spotlighted the Top 70 OEMs based on sales performance. Mahindra Last Mile Mobility (MLMM), a dominant player in FY2023 with over 35,000 units sold and a 9% market share, maintains its leadership position by securing 33,825 units in January-August and a 9.47% share of the overall market. This total remarkably amounts to 96% of MLMM's CY2022 sales, which stood at 35,013 units. The company, having expanded its manufacturing capacity in April by introducing a new production line for its Treo e-three-wheelers at the Haridwar plant, currently offers six EV 3W models.

Securing the second position is YC Electric Vehicles, with 25,085 units – trailing MLMM by 8,740 units – and a 7% market share. YC EV offers five products, including the Yatri Super, Yatri Deluxe, Yatri for passenger duties, and the E-Loader and Yatri Cart for cargo operations. The driving force behind the demand for this OEM lies in its competitive initial pricing, ranging from Rs 125,000 to 170,000 for passenger e3Ws and Rs 130,000 to Rs 165,000 for cargo vehicles.

Saera Electric Auto follows with 17,698 units and a 5% market share, trailed by Dilli Electric with 16,225 units (4.54% share), and Piaggio Vehicles with 12,312 units (3.4% share).

The Top 10 OEMs collectively account for 148,672 units and a 42% share of the total sales, leaving the remaining 58% to be fiercely contested by the other 440 OEMs in the market. A closer examination of the comprehensive Vahan-derived sales data unveils an intense competition down the line, where many OEMs are separated by only a few units.

In conclusion, the electric three-wheeler segment in August 2023 underscores its significance in the EV industry. The consistent growth in sales, driven by the demand for passenger transportation and the crucial role of last-mile delivery vehicles, hints at a promising future. With a diverse range of OEMs vying for market share, competition remains intense, fostering innovation and choice for consumers. This segment is undoubtedly one to watch as it continues to redefine the urban mobility landscape in India.